The Math Nazi





My father is an outstanding man full of admirable qualities. He is dependable, kind, generous, supportive and completely selfless. I love my father very much.





He's great. But, despite this impressive list of admirable qualities, he is a Math Nazi.

Let me explain.





Growing up, math was never my strong suit. Something about the painful accuracy required when adding numbers together didn't click well with me from the very start.

There was no freedom when it came to numbers. Two plus two equaled four, and there was no room for creativity in between. It was practically a dictatorship. Oftentimes, I remember being very behind in my "in-class math workbooks," simply because I didn't want to engage in page after page of mind numbing torture. I didn't find any satisfaction in discovering a solution to a math problem. This number plus that number equals more numbers -NEXT.





However, my father didn't see it that way. Math was his strong suit. Back in his home country, he majored in mathematics at a top of the top university. He then went on to pursue a career in computers, where a great deal of his work consisted of writing computer programs -which involved an even more tedious and infinite knowledge of numbers than you could ever imagine. My father has the ability to solve near to impossible math problems in a baffling short period of time. In other words, he's super good at math.

Now, take that level of pristine genius mixed with a considerably serious toned foreign accent, and combine it with a wide-eyed third grader trying to learn her multiplication tables for the first time.




It was something to do with the numbers. They turned him into someone I didn't recognize. The moment he was presented with a math problem of some sort, he would transform into an invasive Math Nazi.



One day, my teacher informed us of an upcoming math test. Each week, I was to pace myself and learn a different set of multiplication tables to prepare myself for my fate.

My father decided it would be better for me to learn them all at once.

Day after day he began spontaneously quizzing me on various multiplication tables. Somehow, he felt that raising the volume of his voice to an unreasonably intimidating tone would ensure that I was learning successfully.












After doing questionably well on my test, my class moved onto our next subject: problem solving.

I knew I couldn't live like this any longer, so I decided to simply stop going to him for math help.

I begged my brain to pick up the pace and just GET IT, so I wouldn't have to endure his dictatorship of numbers -but alas, my limited capacity of knowledge left me with no choice.







This went on for several years. I wish I could say this method helped me move on to becoming some sort of "numbers guru," but unfortunately it didn't.

Later in life, I did everything in my power to avoid numbers, except when it came to the simple math knowledge that was required for "life's necessities." I never fully recovered from my "fear of numbers."

There are moments when I still shudder at the sight of them today.




Today, I realize that my father's extreme approach to "math help," was simply his way of "wanting the best for me." He wanted me to know everything he knew and more, so I could grow up to have a great life for myself. When I eventually decided to pursue a "non-numbers" path in life, he was completely supportive about it, and has always encouraged me to follow my dreams.

My father's love of numbers led him to provide for his family and manifest the life I have today. He has always put others before himself, and shows his love through his selfless actions and positive outlook on life. The most important thing he has ever taught me was not my multiplication tables, but how to be a good person.

He taught me how to care for others by giving them an abundance of kindness and empathy. I am truly grateful for all he has done for me (and continues to do!). He's still the greatest guy around, and I wouldn't trade him for anything in the world.




In life, it is important to always show gratitude to our loved ones -the ones who selflessly love and care for us no matter what.

When was the last time you reached out to a loved one and told them you are grateful for the role they play in your life? I dare you to do it right now.

And, GO!

Have a nice day.

xo Mel

1 comment: