Let People Do Whatever the Fuck They Want with Their Faces: and Other Ways to Be Beautiful




For me, makeup isn't a "cover up." There's no "real me" hiding under here. It's not like the moment I smear flesh colored goo on my face, color my eyelids, and paint thin black wings over my eyelashes, that my soul suddenly leaves my body. I don't disappear. I'm still present -makeup or no makeup. My makeup is only an extension of the complex soul that harbors my body. My makeup makes me feel good. Stop asking me "how long" it takes me to do my makeup. It takes me as long as it needs to before I've decided that my face has taken on the mosaic I wish to enter the world with. I can't give you a time frame. What I'm trying to say is:



If I want to put makeup on my face, let me do it. But on the other hand, if I don't want to put makeup on my face, let me do that too. I'm so tired of the world presenting us with guidelines on how to apply makeup in "lesser amounts" in order to attain a "natural looking face." Here's an idea -how about if you want a natural looking face, you just don't put any makeup on your fucking face. Let's just give it another name, like "the light makeup look." Don't fuck with my head.  Life is about choice.



And on that note, I've made up my mind -I'm choosing to always stay beautiful. Some say that "beauty fades over time." Screw that shit. I'm going to stay beautiful forever. And I'm not implying that I'll be injecting fat from my ass into my face or any other variations of cosmetic surgery in order to "stay beautiful" (however if you do, as I mentioned before, you should have the freedom to do whatever the fuck you want with your face). All I'm saying is that I refuse to let the world define my beauty any longer.



Fuck your anti-aging campaigns. No sale. I will not allow my age to put a limit on my beauty potential. It's completely psychotic to presume that beauty equals a youthful appearance. So, if I can't maintain looking like I'm 21 for the remainder of my existence, then I've essentially failed life? Fuck that. If and when I get wrinkles, they're going to be sexy as hell. I'm going to be so confident with myself that 21 year olds are going to WISH they had wrinkles. #sexywrinkles #timelessbeauty #wrinkleswag




I once competed in an international beauty pageant (in Europe). At the time, I saw it as a stepping stone towards an acting career in the country I was competing in. Despite the fact that it was a "beauty" pageant, it was the ugliest I had ever felt in my life. I first walked in there feeling like "hell yea, I made it to a beauty pageant." I was so confident with who I was. But then, they literally told me to starve myself. They told me to eat solely for survival, and nothing more. During our intensive month long preparation for the pageant, we were held hostage at the Hilton. Sound nice? They denied me bread at dinnertime, and imposed meal portions that were the equivalent to one quarter of a kid's happy meal at McDonald's, all because they claimed the camera "added ten pounds." If the camera is adding ten pounds, then maybe the flaw doesn't lie in technology, but in the lens through which you are using to judge me (in other words, your judgy eyes). Why do I have to shrink myself in order to appear to be a "normal looking proportioned person" (under your standards) on your television screen? Don't change the person, change the game.



And speaking of body image, let's end this whole "eat a sandwich" comment thread attack that's been plaguing the internet. There are skinny bodies in the world, as much as there are bodies with curves, tummies, arms, legs, noses and butts. Stop comparing the size of one butt to another butt -at the end of the day, they all pass gas the same way. Do not marginalize one body type in order to make another feel more empowered. We should be supporting each other, not bringing each other down based on our physical appearances. We're all damn fine, so just stop it.



Beauty is not something you attain. It is something you realize you had inside you all along. We're all just a bunch of beautiful, delicious cream puffs. The good stuff starts from the inside and seeps out into the world.

You are all beautiful.

Have a nice day.

xo Mel

6 comments: